Hominy Lake Committee Minutes
Feb. 22, 2018 at 5:30 p.m. Date | time | Celia Lanham, Committee Chair
Celia Lanham, Chair, Roseanne McKee, Secretary and Hannah Hawkins, Vice Chair. Carolyn Christy in a consulting capacity.
Approval of Minutes
The minutes from the previous meeting, Feb. 1, 2018, were reviewed and unanimously approved.
Chair’s Report and Items for Discussion
· Carolyn said that the swimming ordinance could not be presented to City Council that evening because the City Attorney was not attending that evening’s meeting and he had not yet reviewed it.
· Celia said that all of the things being done at the lake were described in the lake lot tenant letter.
· Celia discussed clean-up and development of public spaces. We need to name the areas so we can easily refer to them. The first (east) entrance, shoreline area is the only space available for public use, Celia said. I propose that we develop this space. Hannah suggested we call this Zone One for now.
· Carolyn suggested that there be a contest to name the zones with the right given to the highest bidder.
· Celia said, we need to set a plan of priorities over the next few years of what we want to accomplish. Celia expressed her opinion that development of this public space in (Zone One) should be a priority because not everyone can have a lake lot and lake access should be for the whole town.
· The city has hired someone to clean up the trees around the lake, Celia said. This is underway. Since they exposed the area, I’ve discovered that this is the perfect place for the bait shop.
· Carolyn expressed the need for signs. Celia reported that she and Carolyn visited Perry Lake to see how they do things. The lake rules are posted. They use the state of Oklahoma’s rule and regulations.
· Celia suggested putting signs on the agenda for the next meeting.
· Hannah brought up the topic of burning at the lake. Carolyn said this is allowed when the burn ban has been lifted. She suggested getting the rural fire trucks to be on hand. Celia said to put this on the agenda of the next lake committee meeting.
· Once we get additional picnic tables for the public area, we would need to include a concrete slab to secure them, Celia said. We will have to run the need for concrete slabs by the City Council. Carolyn will work on getting a state contract to do this. Celia said that is good because we want to give the city council options.
· Carp Tournament. Roseanne told the committee that she had asked the American Carp Association if they’d like to have a carp tournament. They have not answered yet. Roseanne said there had been a $8,000 award. Celia said we will have the carp tournament on the next meeting’s agenda.
Items Voted On
· Swimming ordinance. Celia opened the discussion about creating a swimming ordinance at Hominy Lake. Carolyn said that she had put a lot of thought into this. Notable discussion points were that 1) night swimming was prohibited and 2) that there was a lot of public support for allowing swimming at Hominy Lake. 3) Celia said we need to determine where the swimming area will be.
· Celia made a motion to bring the letter to lake lot tenants before the city council at that evening’s meeting 2/22/18. Hannah seconded the motion. This motion unanimously passed.
· After a discussion of the concern about having two lake committee votes from one household, Roseanne made a motion to accept Kris Hawkins resignation from the committee. Celia seconded that motion. This motion was unanimously passed.
· There was discussion of the need for another person to take his place on the committee. Carolyn said it needs to be a younger person who is well known in the community and someone who will get benefit from the public lake area.
· Roseanne asked for clarification on this question: once the lake committee had an idea of who they wanted for the open slot on the committee, would this need to be presented to the City Council and approved by them? Celia and Carolyn said yes.
· Celia said, that there were a few lake lots that show as available on the city’s list, but they are not really viable lake lots. I propose we take a look at the them and that if they are not up to par, we remove them from the list of available lots. When lake lots become available going forward, we have the right to go out and inspect the lots before we ever list them. Roseanne made a motion that we allow Celia to bring this before the city council. Hannah seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.
There were no announcements.
A meeting was scheduled for Feb. 28 at noon at Simple Simon’s following a motion by Celia, a second by Hannah and a unanimous vote. However, Celia cancelled that meeting and asked Roseanne to e-mail the committee that the next meeting would be held on March 21 at Simple Simon’s at noon.
A motion was made by Roseanne to adjourn the meeting, which was seconded by Celia. This motion passed unanimously and the meeting was adjourned at about 6:15 p.m.